photo by Allison McKeen
Interested in using the Harlow Gallery for a presentation, workshop, class, meeting or performance? Great! The Harlow supports the artistic development of our member artists, both amateur and professional, by providing opportunities for exhibition and other professional development at the Harlow Gallery. These include workshops, lectures, demonstrations and other special events. Our policy is to make our space available to a broad range of artists’ groups for meetings and events that are important to artistic growth and for the exchange of ideas. Because we believe the arts are integral to a well-rounded and vibrant community, and can be a key factor in personal growth and self- improvement, we strive to involve the greater community in the arts and to invite them into the Harlow Gallery at every opportunity.
1. First read through this entire page … 2. then download and complete the proposal form. It’s easiest to simply answer the questions in an email – send it to KVAA@harlowgallery.org … 3. then we’ll chat!
In proposing an event at the Harlow Gallery, please keep in mind the following:
• We have a busy schedule at the Harlow Gallery; we will consider your event only if it does not conflict or interfere with our regular programing. Visit our calendar for more info.
• Arts related proposals have priority (that includes music, literary arts and theater of course).
• The Harlow Gallery has limited storage capacity and cannot provide class instructors with storage for supplies at this time. Instructors will need to take all supplies with them and have students take their work and or supplies with them as well.
Harlow Gallery use of space fee is $30 or 30% of donations, tuition, ticket sales, entry fee or any other proceeds, whichever is greater. When setting tuition rates we request you offer a discounted rate for Harlow Gallery members if possible. For an ongoing arts related club or meeting, a donation of at least $20 per meeting or $250 per year, whichever is greater. (Negotiable for fellow nonprofits or charitable causes.)
OPTIONAL Marketing Support (also see Promoting your event below…)
1. Harlow staff can do your press release for a $35 fee. Press releases go out via email to our well established list of media outlets within a 60 mile radius. Our press releases are regularly published in print and online in central Maine and beyond. You will need to provide us with a write up (WHO, WHAT, WHEN & WHERE) and up to three jpg images at least one month before your event.
2. Harness the power of social media! Harlow staff can set up a public Facebook event page for you on our account and promote it there as well – we have over 3,000 ‘friends’ and ‘fans’ www.facebook.com/harlowgallery. Plus we’ll tweet it free! Again, this will be created using your write-up and images received at least one month before your event. You will be granted admin status (requires a Facebook account) which will allow you to edit the event and invite people to it. Set up fee is $20.
PR PACKAGE – save! $50 for press release AND Facebook event.
WHAT HARLOW STAFF WILL DO
• In the case of classes and workshops, we will register students and handle all tuition payments. Instructor will receive a check within two weeks after the first class.
• Include your event on this website. Using your write-up and images.
• Orient you in opening and closing the gallery and assign you a key if your event begins or ends outside of regular gallery hours (Wednesday & Saturday noon – 6pm, Thursday & Friday noon – 8pm).
PROMOTING YOUR EVENT | GROUP | WORKSHOP | CLASS
The Kennebec Valley Art Association and the Harlow Gallery are run by a small part-time staff supported by lots of volunteer hours. You can help your event be successful by participating in the promotions process.
WHAT YOU CAN DO – (item A. & B. are essential, everything else is optional)
A. Prepare and distribute a press release at least one month before your event, or request this service from us, providing all required information before the one month deadline (see item B). Note – $35 fee applies if we do your press release. Need some help? There’s good primer at artistsnetwork.com >> Write a Press Release in 16 Easy Steps
B. Provide complete and timely information at least one month before your event. Email us your press release or a clear, complete description of your event as a regular text email (not as an attachment!) Your write-up should sum up the full story in a brief first paragraph describing who, what, when, where and why. You can go on to provide as much detail as you like. We reserve the right to edit this as needed, and will publish this to our website, and use it to create a press release at your request. We require up to three jpg images, around 600- 1200 dpi — it is essential we have AT LEAST ONE image. Please email these to us as attachments.Our email is: email@example.com
C. Design and distribute a flyer or poster. Post them in and around Hallowell and in and around your town. Leave a stack at the Harlow for gallery visitors to take. If you do an electronic version we will print one to post at the Harlow.
D. Share on Facebook. Set up an event page, or have us do it for you ($20 fee applies) then help promote it by inviting your friends and sharing the event on your personal profile in the weeks leading up to the event.
E. Advertise in local newspapers, etc.
F. Post your event online. There are many online calendars available but posting to them can be a time intensive project. These are some of the calendars with statewide reach. There are many others, some fee based.
Maine Arts Commission calendar of events: mainearts.maine.gov/eventcalender.aspx
MPBN events calendar: events.publicbroadcasting.net/mpbc/events.eventsmain
Maine Gallery Guide online calendar: www.mainegalleryguide.com/contact.aspx
FEE BASED but worth considering: