Bookmaking Workshop, January, 2015
After a successful and inspiring year of SECOND SUNDAY events, The Harlow Gallery is pleased to announce that the series of free community art-related events has workshops scheduled through June 2016 and plans to continue the series throughout 2016. Mark your calendars and look forward to a variety of activities on the second Sunday of every month from 2-4PM at the Harlow Gallery. These events are free and open to the public. Some materials are provided, but participants are encouraged to bring their own as well. Let’s get creative!
These workshops are opportunities to both try something new and sharpen old skills – they are open to everyone; form beginners to professional artists and everyone in between. SECOND SUNDAYS brings artists and art lovers together to enjoy the process of making art as well as looking at art and discussing it. Most events are perfect for families, and all ages are welcome. Children under 10 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
The Harlow Gallery’s Education Committee organizes and hosts SECOND SUNDAYS, our monthly series of free community art-making events which is lead by volunteer presenters and is sponsored by our hometown bank, Camden National Bank.
Donations and sponsors to support gallery programs like Second Sundays are welcome. The Harlow Gallery is a 501(c)3, membership-based nonprofit – your gift is fully tax deductible in accordance with current tax law. If you have an idea for a future Second Sunday event, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SECOND SUNDAY (January-June, 2016):
Sunday, January 10, 2-4PM: Nature Journaling with Andrea Lani – Master Naturalist
- Spend an afternoon creating a family nature journal. In this workshop we will practice observing with all of our senses, learn some simple drawing techniques, and write prose and poetry.
Sunday, February 14, 2-4PM: Paper Jewelry with Claudia Brahms and Margo Ogden – Visual Artists
- Make a little something or your Valentine. Folded, cut, woven, and sewn decorated paper can be made into lightweight and unusual jewelry. Come and explore these techniques and create necklaces, bracelets, and earrings with us.
Sunday, March 13, 2-4PM: Let’s “Take Your Dot For A Walk” with Helene Farrar – Art Educator
- Let’s learn about the Artist Paul Klee while we honor Youth Art Month! You and your child are invited to create some energetic paintings together in an inspiring and educational afternoon!
Sunday, April 10, 2-4PM: Weaving Off The Loom with Jayson Hunt -Textile Artist
- Explore weaving with Jayson. Learn simple weaving structures and play with color and texture as you craft a simple strap, belt or band. No loom needed.
Sunday, May 15, 2-4PM: Inner Vision, A Meditative Drawing with Wendy Burton – Art Educator
- Leave logic behind in favor of your inner self. Starting with a simple mark you’ll begin your meditative journey through an intuitive non-objective drawing. Focusing on the flow of lines, shapes, space and, most importantly, value you’ll use your imagination as your guide. There is no external subject matter to draw. Feel rather than rationalize your way. *Third Sunday to avoid Mother’s Day
Sunday, June 12, 2-4PM: Sacred Dance with Maryam Mermey - Expressive Arts Therapist
- Participants are invited to learn songs and dances from different faith traditions. Inspired by colored, silk scarves we are also going to choreograph our own Sacred Dance. All ages and abilities are welcome!